Skip to main content
Image Not Available for Saybrook Fort Monument
Saybrook Fort Monument
Image Not Available for Saybrook Fort Monument

Saybrook Fort Monument

PublisherPublished by the James Pharmacy American, 1917 - 1967
Datemid 20th century
MediumPhotomechanical prints; printer's ink on postcard
DimensionsPrimary Dimensions (image height x width): 5 1/2 x 3 1/2in. (14 x 8.9cm)
Sheet (height x width): 5 1/2 x 3 1/2in. (14 x 8.9cm)
ClassificationsGraphics
Credit LineConnecticut Museum of Culture and History collection
DescriptionA granite monument is in a grassy area, surrounded by a low stone base. What appears to be a marsh, a sandy spit, and the water of the lower Connecticut River or Long Island Sound are in the background. The inscription incised in the stone reads: "SAY BROOKE FORT / COMMANDED BY / COLONEL GEORGE FENWICK / AT THE MOUTH OF THE GREAT RIVER / NEAR THIS PLACE, STOOD THE FIRST / ENGLISH FORT IN THE COLONY OF / CONNECTICUT, BUILT IN 1635. / IT WAS DESTROYED BY FIRE IN / 1647. BEYOND IT, ON THE BANK / OF THE RIVER, STOOD THE SECOND / FORT, BUILT IN 1648. ITS EARTH- / WORKS WERE DEMOLISHED IN 1870. / THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECTED BY / THE CONNECTICUT SOCIETY OF THE COLONIAL DAMES OF AMERICAN / IN 1913."
Object number2012.209.8
InscribedOn recto, lower right, in white, "At Old Saybrook, Conn."NotesConstituent Note: From 1917 to 1967, the James Pharmacy (or Drug Store) was run by Anna Louise James, the first female African-American pharmacist in the state of Connecticut. (Finlay 3/7/2013)
Subject Terms
    On View
    Not on view
    Charles Herbert Caswell
    1935