Skip to main content
Image Not Available for Pitcher and Original Box
Pitcher and Original Box
Image Not Available for Pitcher and Original Box

Pitcher and Original Box

DistributorPresented by G. Fox and Co. American, 1847 - 1993
MakerMade by Josiah Wedgwood & Sons, Ltd. English, 1895 - present
Date1960
MediumMechanically-molded creamware with black overglaze transfer-printed decoration
DimensionsPrimary Dimensions (height x width x diameter): 6 1/2 x 6 3/4 x 5 1/2in. (16.5 x 17.1 x 14cm)
ClassificationsCeramics
Credit LineGift of the Children of Richard and Georgette Koopman
DescriptionBarrel-shaped pitcher of cream-colored earthenware, a type of ceramic known as creamware. The pitcher has a plain rim, swelled sides, narrow base, and a flat bottom. At one side of the rim is a short triangular spout. Opposite the rim is an applied ear-shaped handle. Each side of the pitcher has overglaze black enamel transfer-printed decoration inside a border of scrolled leaves. To the right of the handle is a scene showing a three story retail building with a gambrel roof; a sign over one door to the building states "GERSON FOX". In front of the building are a row of soldiers, a woman and two children. To the left of the handle is a crest with the words "G. FOX & CO/ 25 YEARS/ MOSES FOX CLUB" over "This jug, as a token of friendship,/ marks the esteem in which the members/ of the/ MOSES FOX CLUB/ are held/ by its founder,/ Beatrice Fox Auerbach/ and is given in recognition of their/ loyalty, faithfulness and devotion for/ twenty-five years and more."
Object number2007.24.2a-c
MarkingsThe underside of the pitcher has an impressed mark of "8 L 50/ WEDGEWOOD". The underside of the pitcher has a black, overglaze, transfer-printed mark of "THIS IS THE ORIGINAL STORE OF/ GERSON FOX, HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT/ FOUNDED 1847/ DESIGNED ESPECIALLY FOR/MOSES FOX CLUB./ 1960". Below this are two marks. The left mark states "WEDGEWOOD/ of ETRURIA/ & BARLASTON/ MADE IN ENGLAND". The right mark consists of a square with two engravers tools superimposed over the square. Surrounding this "DESIGNED BY THE/ WEDGWOOD STUDIOS" in a circle.NotesHistorical Note: The Moses Fox Club was for employees of the department store G. Fox & Co., in Hartford, Connecticut, who had been with the company for 25 years or more. It was named after Moses Fox (1850-1938), the son of the founder of the store, Gerson Fox. (Lee 7/6/2009)
Subject Terms
    Collections
    • G. Fox & Co.
    On View
    Not on view