Skip navigation
Harvey & Lewis
Robert Lewis
Foster Harvey
American, founded 1890
Foster E. Harvey
Biography: Robert H. Lewis and Foster E. Harvey founded their business in 1890. Harvey and Lewis Opticians' first store in downtown Hartford was located on the corner of State and Main, the current location of the Pavilion at State House Square. Now located on Asylum Street, Harvey and Lewis Opticians are the oldest retailer in downtown Hartford. The company is still family owned and operated- currently employed family members include Stuart Lewis as Chairman (3rd Generation), James Lewis as president, Bill Wood as the West Hartford branch manager and Jeanne Lewis as office manager (all fourth generation). Harvey and Lewis Opticians have expanded throughout Hartford County and now operate eight locations. Norman Rockwell used Harvey and Lewis Opticians as the setting for his painting, "The Optometrist" which appeared on the cover of the Saturday Evening Post on 19 May 1956 Harvey and Lewis Opticians have provided eyewear to the past four governors of Connecticut with the exception of John Rowland who does not need corrective eyewear.