Skip navigation
Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War


American, founded 1885
Biography: The Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War (DUVCW) was founded in 1885 by Olive Howard, Harriet Knapp, Eva Merwin, Frank Merwin and Bertha Martin in Ohio. The group was incorporated as "The National Alliance of the Daughters of Veterans of the United States of America" on December 12, 1885. They were endorsed by The Grand Army of the Republic at the 34th Annual Encampment held in Chicago, Illinois, 1900. The name changed to Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War at the 35th National Convention held in Grand Rapids, Michigan, 1925. The name changed again to Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War, 1861 - 1865 at the 54th National Convention held in Des Moines, Iowa, 1944.