Skip navigation
Sheet Number 5. Region of New Haven, Connecticut
1877
Maker:Made by United States Coast Survey , American, founded 1807
Surveyor:Triangulation by Richard Meade Bache , American, 1830 - 1907
Surveyor:Triangulation by Horace Andrews , American, 1852 - 1945
Surveyor:Triangulation by Edward Goodfellow , American, about 1828 - 1899
Surveyor:Topography by Richard Meade Bache , American, 1830 - 1907
Surveyor:Topography by James P. Bogart , 1852 - 1903
Surveyor:Topography by William F. Downer , American, 1850 - 1923
Printer:Lithographed by Julius Bien , 1826 - 1909
Photo lithography; black printer's ink on paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 21 x 30 1/8in. (53.3 x 76.5cm) Sheet (height x width): 24 1/8 x 32 1/4in. (61.3 x 81.9cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: The northern reaches of New Haven were barely developed in the 1870s. This map shows a cluster of houses and other buildings at Westville, below West Rock, and Hamilton Park, which hosted horse races and sports events during the nineteenth century. Edgewood, to the west of the park, was the estate of Donald Grant Mitchell, a popular nineteenth-century author. For this detailed map of New Haven, the head of the United States Coast Survey, Richard M. Bache, employed recent graduates of the Sheffield Scientific School, including Horace Andrews and James P. Bogart.
Description: Sheet 5 of an 11-sheet map of the New Haven, Connecticut, area, primarily conveying the topography, geographical coordinates and different types of land in the area. It extends from Westville to the north, Hamilton Park and the almshouse to the east, Orange to the south, and Edgewood to the west. The West River (unlabeled) is visible on the right side, west of Hamilton Park and Evergreen Cemetery. Land divisions are indicated with dotted lines, and what are presumably roads are indicated with solid parallel lines. Contour lines indicate elevation with the height of the hill provided in feet. Buildings appear to be shown with small rectangular shapes, either shaded or marked with an "x." Additionally, some landmarks beyond the area detailed are provided: West Rock, Dwight Place Church, St. John's Church, City Hall, and the Scientific School, among others, in the case of this map.
Cartographic Note: Scale: 1:10,000
Inscription: Recto, top center, printed in black ink: "From a survey made for / The City of New Haven / by the / United States Coast Survey." Top right, printed in black ink: "SHEET No. 5 / REGION OF / NEW HAVEN / CONNECTICUT / Scale 1/10,000 / 1877 / Triangulation in 1871, by Edward Goodfellow, Assistant U.S.C.S.; / and in 1875-6, by R.M. Bache, Assistant U.S.C.S.; Horace Andrews, / Aid. / Topography by R.M. Bache, Assistant U.S.C.S.; Wm. F. Downer, / Aid, 1875-6, and James P. Bogart, Aid, 1877. / JULIUS BIEN, PHOTO-LITH." Bottom left, printed in black ink: "ELEVATION / The curves of equal elevation are given for every 20 feet / difference of level. The intermediate forms are shown by dotted / curves. The heights of the hills are expressed in feet."
Object Number: 2012.312.216.8
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend