Skip navigation
Map of the Baltic Estate in Sprague, Connecticut
Surveyor:Surveyed by Cushing & Dewitt , American
Draftsman:Drawn by William E. Cushing , American, 1845 - 1880
Drawing; black and red ink and watercolor on wove paper, lined with linen
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 27 1/16 x 39in. (68.7 x 99.1cm) Sheet (height x width): 29 3/4 x 41 1/2in. (75.6 x 105.4cm) Mount (height x width): 29 3/4 x 41 1/2in. (75.6 x 105.4cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: In 1856, William Sprague, Sr., of Cranston, Rhode Island, began what he described as "the largest mill on the Western Continent" in a rural part of eastern Connecticut, only to die later that year. Construction of the Baltic Cotton Mill was continued by his sons, A. & W. Sprague, and in 1861, the area was incorporated as the town of Sprague, with the mill village of Baltic in its southwest corner. This map shows the large cotton mill on the Shetucket River, the associated mill housing, and the large pond that provided water power. Additional notations on the map made in 1898 record the transfer of property to the Baltic Power Company, which continued to operate a mill on the site until 1967. The original mill was destroyed by fire in 1877.
Description: Map of Sprague, Connecticut, showing parcels of land belonging to William Sprague near the Shetucket River and Baltic Pond. Each parcel is labeled with its measurements in feet and area in acres, sometimes with notes about when it was purchased by the A. & W. Sprague Manufacturing Company. Additions to the map appear in blue pen and detail the sale of land from private owners to the Baltic Power Company in 1898. The cotton mill buildings are visible on the left side of the map along the Shetucket River. The names of some of the nearby property owners are also shown.
Cartographic Note: Scale: 1 inch equals 300 feet
Inscription: Recto, top center, hand-drawn in black ink: "MAP No. 16" Top left, handwritten in black ink: "All distances in feet and decimals, U.S. standard measure. / All areas in acres and decimals. / Total area of Baltic Estate, 336 75/100 Acres: Add Area of "Currier Purchase," 56 21/100 A. = 392 96/100 Acres. / For further details, notes, etc. see Maps Nos 14 + 15." Bottom right, hand-drawn in black ink: "MAP / OF THE / BALTIC ESTATE / IN / SPRAGUE, CONN. / SURVEYED AND PLATTED / BY CUSHING & DEWITT / APRIL, / 1865." Bottom right corner, handwritten in black ink: "Wm. E. Cushing" Bottom left, hand-drawn in black ink: "A. & W. SPRAGUE" Bottom right, hand-drawn in black ink: "SPRAGUE ESTATES" Names of property owners, above river and pond: A. R. Barbor, Nathan Bennett, A.J. Currier, Rinda Ladd, wife of George Williams, Lydia Ladd, Septa Ladd, Lawrence Brewster, Simeon Hazen, S.J.P. Ladd, George K. Nason [added later], Maria M. Wilcox [added later], Le Blanc [added later] Names of property owners, below river and pond: Cornelius Donahue, Samuel Miller and Barnes, John Falvey, John Welon, John Curtin, John Kane, John Brooks, Levi P. and Eunice H. Rowland, John Grant, George K. Nason [added later], Maria M. Wilcox [added later]
Object Number: 2012.312.234
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend