Skip navigation
Map of the Waldo and River Farms in Sprague and Scotland, Connecticut
Surveyor:Surveyed by Cushing & Dewitt , American
Draftsman:Drawn by William E. Cushing , American, 1845 - 1880
Drawing; black ink and watercolor on paper, lined with linen
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 27 1/8 x 39in. (68.9 x 99.1cm) Sheet (height x width): 30 x 41 3/4in. (76.2 x 106cm) Mount (height x width): 30 x 41 3/4in. (76.2 x 106cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: The town of Sprague, Connecticut was incorporated in 1861, and was made up of parts of the adjoining towns of Lisbon and Franklin. There was never a village called Sprague in the township; the largest population center was the mill village of Baltic, located in the southwest corner of the township. This map shows the rural northern portion of the township and part of adjoining Scotland, with two large farms located on opposite sides of the Shetucket River.
Description: Map of two farms along the Shetucket River in Sprague and Scotland, Connecticut. The map is oriented east-west on the paper with the river oriented vertically. The Waldo Farm, which is located north of the Shetucket River, on the right side of the map, and the River Farm, located south of the river, on the left. The dimensions of each side of the lots the farms are on are provided, with additional dimensions for the house and barn at Waldo Farm. Around River Farm, neighboring land owners include David Scott, Buell Ladd, Aaron Bailey, William Ladd and Cheeney Armstrong. Around Waldo Farm, neighboring land owners include Ebenezer Waldo, Elias Parkhurst, John Bingham, Nathan Fuller, Fenner Maine, Roger Waldo and George Waldo. Local roads; bridges over Merrick's Brook; and the Providence, Hartford, and Fishkill Railroad line are also depicted. At the top left is the scale chart.
Cartographic Note: Scale: 1 inch equals 200 feet
Inscription: Recto, top center, handwritten in black ink: "MAP No. 17" Top right, handwritten in black ink: "MAP / OF THE / WALDO AND RIVER FARMS / IN / SPRAGUE AND SCOTLAND, CONN. / SURVEYED & PLATTED / BY / CUSHING & DeWITT / MAY, / 1865. / Wm. E. Cushing" Top left, handwritten in black ink: "All distances in feet and decimals, U.S. Standard. / All Areas in Acres and decimals. / Magnetic courses taken with the Compass needle." Bottom left, handwritten in black ink: "A. & W. SPRAGUE" Bottom right, handwritten in black ink: "SPRAGUE & SCOTLAND ESTATES"
Object Number: 2012.312.236
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend