Skip navigation
An Avon Story
1980
Designer:Designed by Dorothy J. Anderson , American, 1921 - 1994
Designer:Designed by Gladys T. August , American, 1921 - 2013
Designer:Designed by Marian M. Hunter , American, 1917 - 1987
Maker:Researched by Dorothy J. Anderson , American, 1921 - 1994
Maker:Researched by Gladys T. August , American, 1921 - 2013
Maker:Researched by Marian M. Hunter , American, 1917 - 1987
Lithography; brown printer's ink on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 22 1/8 x 26in. (56.2 x 66cm) Sheet (height x width): 23 1/8 x 27 1/8in. (58.7 x 68.9cm)
Credit Line: Gift of the Avon Story Commission
Gallery Copy: Avon was one of seven new towns carved from the territory of the original town of Farmington, once one of the largest towns in the state. Avon's develpment was spurred by the opening of the Farmington Canal in 1829 and it became a separate town in 1830, adopting the name Avon at that time. Previously it was known as Northington or Nod. The map shows the town as it appeared in 1830, and the surrounding images reflect its picturesque, rural character. It was the work of three local women, Dorothy J. Anderson, Gladys T. August, and Marian M. Hunter.
Description: Map of the town of Avon in 1830, with Canton and Simsbury to the north, Windsor and Hartford to the east, Farmington to the south, and Burlington and the Farmington River to the west. Different areas of the town are labeled: "Whortleberry Hill," "Lovely Town," East Avon," "West Avon," "Old Farm," "Pine Woods," "Nod Division," "Nod Hill," and "Cider Brook." Drawings are used to show the locations of blacksmiths, grist and sawmills, taverns or inns, schoolhouses, cemeteries, churches, carding machines, turning mills, wagon shops, fulling mills, farming areas, distilleries, and canals and towpaths. Also depicted are the sites of historic events. Fourteen vignettes around the map show the West Avon Congregational Church; Nod School House; Avon Center; the former Holmes sawmill and gristmill; Canal Warehouse and Store; Avon Market; a team of horses and men harvesting ice; the Farmington River Wooden Bridge; the oldest house in Avon; Climax Fuse Company; Avon Creamery; Avon Heights; Wadsworth Tower; and the East Avon Congregational Church. Physical features include elevation, depicted with clusters of peaks, brooks, woods, and rivers.
Cartographic Note: No scale
Inscription: Recto, top center, printed in brown ink: "An / AVON STORY / 1830-1980 / Scenes from Avon's past and / a map of the town in its year of incorporation" Bottom center, printed in brown ink: "Avon was settled as the north parish in Farmington (Northington) in / the 1600's. Fertile land in the river valley attracted colonization. Early / settlers located near brooks and streams to be assured of a constant / water supply. These streams also supplied power for sawmills and / other industry. Centers of trade and social activity developed in / East Avon and Lovelytown. Roads were mere cartpaths carved / out by necessary travel. Most of Avon's 190 families were self- / sufficient, raising crops and animals for self preservation and barter. / Researched and designed by / Dorothy J. Anderson, Gladys T. August, Marian M. Hunter / Avon, Ct 1980"
Object Number: 1980.101.0
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend