Skip navigation
Coffeepot
1816-1830
Maker:Attributed to Andrew Stevenson , English, 1816 - 1830
Mechanically-molded buff-colored earthenware with a blue-tinted glaze and underglaze cobalt blue decoration
Primary Dimensions (height including lid x width x depth): 11 3/4 x 11 1/2 x 6 1/2in. (29.8 x 29.2 x 16.5cm)
Credit Line: Gift of Mrs. Harold G. Holcombe
Description: Urn-shaped coffeepot of buff-colored earthenware with a blue-tinted glaze, a type of ceramic known as pearlware. The urn-shaped body of the coffeepot (.a) sits on a wide foot. A molded handle and spout are applied to the ceramic on opposite sides of the coffeepot. The neck of the coffeepot narrows to form a nearly cylindrical rim. The coffeepot is decorated with a transfer-printed underglaze cobalt blue pattern titled, "State House Hartford" on the bottom. The pattern shows a neoclassical, or Federal style, building. The building sits on a tall, stone first floor, with two brick storeys above it. The structure has a projecting portico with six columns, a balustrade, and four chimneys emerging from the roof. There are two tall trees on either side of the building and a fence in the background. A man with a cane or walking stick is standing on the lawn in front of the building. The pattern is printed twice on the outside of the coffeepot, once on each side. It is surrounded by various flowers and leaves on a field of blue. The coffeepot is also decorated with an additional border at the foot, neck, and rim. The border has various flowers and leaves on a blue background, with a final line of small, white, geometric shapes at one side of the border. The spout is printed with blue flowers and leaves, and the handle is decorated with multiple rows of blue dots surrounded by blue circles. The lid (.b) of the coffeepot is round and domed. The same border found on the coffeepot is printed at the rim of the lid, with two additional clusters of flowers and leaves near the top. A small round finial is located at the top of the lid, and this is also decorated. The finial has a small cylindrical hole in the center. There is light crazing on the body of the coffeepot and lid, and a few cracks in the bottom of the rim of the lid. A small chip is missing from the tip of the spout.
Subject Note: The Connecticut State House was designed by Charles Bulfinch of Boston, and built by Jeremiah Halsey of Preston, Connecticut, and Andrew Ward of Guilford, Connecticut. The first session of the General Assembly was held in the State House on 11 May 1796. In 1878, the State House was turned over for use as a City Hall. In 1915, the Old State House was abandoned, and used intermittently for various non-governmental purposes. Several restoration projects took place over the following years, and in 1961, the Old State House was designated a National Historic Landmark. (Hunt 11/4/2004)
Object Number: 1964.86.0a,b
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend