Skip navigation
Map Showing Location of Reservoirs in West Hartford
after 1874
Surveyor:Surveyed by Seth E. Marsh , American, about 1823 - 1878
Surveyor:Surveyed by Henry W. Ayres , American, 1848 - 1912
Maker:Made for the Hartford Water Company , American, founded 1851
Drawing; black ink on wove paper on fabric
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 40 x 82 1/2in. (101.6 x 209.6cm) Sheet (height x width): 43 1/2 x 86in. (110.5 x 218.4cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: This manuscript map shows the various pieces of property that were acquired by the City of Hartford during the 1860s and 1870s when the West Hartford Reservoir system was being developed. The first plots of land, where Reservoir No. 1 is located, were acquired from Edward Selden, Calvin Gridley, Lyman Hotchkiss, and George Clark in October 1864. Later parcels form a patchwork encompassing Reservoirs No. 2, 3, and 5. Penciled notations indicate the names of property owners just beyond the reservoirs. A large portion of the watershed remained in private hands.
Description: Map of a portion of the town of West Hartford showing the location of Reservoirs No. 1, 2, 3, and 5 and surrounding watershed. Names of former property owners and dates when property was acquired by the city of Hartford are shown. Rights of way are shown with names of property owners and dates. Dates range from 1865 to 1880. Other features include the West Hartford Water Works, a waste weir, Mine Brook, Farmington Road (Farmington Avenue), Avon Road, and the former location of a portion of Avon Road. Elevation is shown by hachure marks. A compass rose is at upper right.
Cartographic Note: One inch equals 200 feet Subject Note: Reservoirs are shown with their original numbers. In the mid-1870s when Reservoir No. 4 was created in Farmington, the West Hartford reservoirs were renumbered as follows: Reservoir No. 1 remained Reservoir 1; Reservoir 2 became Reservoir No. 4; Reservoir 3 became Reservoir No. 2, and Reservoir 4 became No. 3.
Inscription: On recto, lower right, in black ink, "Map / SHOWING LOCATION OF / RESERVOIRS / IN / West Hartford, Conn. / From Surveys in the Fall of 1873 & 1874 / SETH E. MARSH C.E. H.W. AYRES C.E. ASS'T. / Scale 200 feet to an inch." On verso, lower left, in black crayon, "P. H. #2"; in black ink, "088133" "1970-27-21" Lower right, in black ink, "acc 088133" "1970-27-21"
Object Number: 1970.27.21
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend