Skip navigation
Harbors of Black Rock and Bridgeport
Publisher:Published by United States Coast Survey , American, founded 1807
Surveyor:Surveyed by Ferdinand Rudolph Hassler , American, 1770 - 1843
Surveyor:Triangulation by James Ferguson , American, 1797 - 1867
Surveyor:Topography by Constant M. Eakin , French-American, 1794 - 1870
Surveyor:Hydrography by George S. Blake , American, 1802 - 1871
Engraving; black printer's ink on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 17 1/4 x 14 1/8in. (43.8 x 35.9cm) Platemark (height x width): 20 5/8 x 17 5/8in. (52.4 x 44.8cm) Sheet (height x width): 23 x 18 1/2in. (58.4 x 47cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: By 1848 when this chart was produced, Bridgeport was developing into a major industrial center, and the harbor was an important part of its transportation network with connections to the New York & New Haven Railroad and the Housatonic Railroad. Nearby Black Rock Harbor (in 1848 part of the town of Fairfield, but now part of Bridgeport) was home to a flourishing shipbuilding industry. This chart would have helped mariners to make their way safely in and out of these two harbors.
Description: Nautical chart of the harbors of Black Rock and Bridgeport, Connecticut, with Bridgeport to the north, the harbor waters to the east and south, and Black Rock to the west. The map depicts water depth and the location of reefs, rocks, buoys, and hard and soft sand. Land features include elevation, conveyed through hachure marks, Fairfield Creek, fields, and stands of trees. Buildings are denoted with black shaded squares. There is a 32-point compass rose with an arrow marking the difference between true north and magnetic north. In the lower right corner there is information about the soundings taken to confirm water depth, the dates of the various surveys, and the tides. Sailing directions for Black Rock and Bridgeport Harbors are written out to the right.
Cartographic Note: Scale: 1:20,000; Nautical miles: 3 9/16 inches equals 1 nautical mile
Inscription: Recto, top left, printed in black ink: "Harbor Map No." Top center, printed in black ink: "Presented to ____ / under authority of an Act of Congress of the United States of June 3d. 1844, & by direction of the Treasury Department, / A.D. Bache Superintendent Coast Survey." Top left, printed in black ink: "HARBORS OF / BLACK ROCK AND BRIDGEPORT / Founded upon a Trigonometrical Survey / under the direction of F.R. Hassler Superintendent of the / SURVEY OF THE COAST OF THE UNITED STATES / Triangulation by J. FERGUSON Assistant / Topography by C.M. EAKIN Assistant / Hydrography by the party under the command of / Lieutenant G.S. BLAKE U.S. Navy / Published in 1848 / A.D. Bache Superintendent" Left side, printed in black ink: "U.S. COAST SURVEY OFFICE" [inscribed within what is presumably the Coast Survey's seal, which depicts an eagle standing on a sphere with the American shield in front of it] / Verified by / A.A. Humphreys Lieut. Topl. Engrs. & Assistant." Bottom left, printed in black ink: "Reduction for Engraving by M.I. McClery Assistant, with / some additions by J.M. Wampler Draughtsman." Bottom right, printed in black ink: "Topography Engraved by S.T. Pettit apprentice, finished by F. Dankworth, / O.A. Lawson & A. Rolle. Lettering by F. Dankworth and J. Knight." Verso, top left, handwritten in pencil: "#2"
Object Number: 2012.312.93
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend