Skip navigation
Birds eye view of the Garrison &c of Ticonderoga (by the Indian name Tigrondergua the meeting of the waters)
about 1860
Draftsman:Drawn by Unknown
Drawing; ink on paper on linen with green binding
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 23 3/8 x 18 3/8in. (59.4 x 46.7cm) Sheet (height x width): 23 5/8 x 18 7/8in. (60 x 47.9cm) Mount (height x width): 23 5/8 x 18 7/8in. (60 x 47.9cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: This manuscript map, which depicts Fort Ticonderoga and includes a lengthy text outlining its history, appears to date from the mid-nineteenth century rather than the late eighteenth century. It may be based on an earlier map, possibly an engraved book illustration. The purpose for which it was made is not known. Like other maps in the Connecticut Historical Society's collection, it may have been copied by a schoolchild as part of a history or georgraphy lesson. The name George N. Root is inscribed on the back of the map and he may have been a former owner.
Description: Manuscript map of Fort Ticonderoga, with Lake George at the top of the map and Lake Champlain at the bottom. The north arrow points toward the top right corner. The fort's buildings and the structures and places around it are indicated with symbols, and many of them are labeled: the burial ground, a hotel, the hospital, store houses, and wells. Waterfalls and bridges along the lakes and waterways are marked, too. Unattributed quotations appear in various places that describe military actions taken by the troops on both sides. On the verso, there is a pencil sketch of a fort.
Cartographic Note: No scale Classification Note: In terms of this project, "historical maps" refer to those made at a later date than the time period depicted.
Inscription: Recto, left side, handwritten in black ink: "Birds eye view of the Garrison +c / of Ticonderoga ["Ticonderoga" underlined] (by the Indian name / Tigrondergua the meeting of the waters) / A 1 1756 [date underlined] was buildt by the French & by them / called Carrillon ["Carrillon" underlined]. / July 8th 1759 [date underlined] Was attacked by Gen. Abercrombie + Seventeen / thousand regular & provincials, who were obliged to retreat / after a severe contest, July 1760 [date underlined] was taken by / Genl. Amherst / 10th May 1775 [date underlined] Was surrendered by the British / to Col's Ethan Allen + Benedict Arnold In / the name of Jehovah + the Continental / Congress. / July 6, 1777 [date underlined] Was evacuated by the / Americans under Gen. St Clair / in consequence of Gen. Burgoyne's / getting possession of Mount Defiance / from which point he reduced / it to ruins-" Verso, top left, handwritten in black ink: "Plan of the Forts [illegible] between / Lakes George + Champlain"
Object Number: 2012.312.75
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend