Skip navigation
Ye Map of Farmington
Draftsman:Drawn by Lydia B. Hewes , American, 1899 - 1986
Drawing; watercolor and ink on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 12 1/8 x 10 1/2in. (30.8 x 26.7cm) Sheet (height x width): 12 1/8 x 10 1/2in. (30.8 x 26.7cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: The L.B. Hewes who drew this map may have been Lydia B. Hewes, the young wife of J. Ellicot Hewes, who was appointed judge of the Farmington Town Court in 1926. This highly personal little map includes allusions to Miss Porter's School (The Main School Building and the Sarah Porter Memorial "famous for church fairs and waffles"), Avon Old Farms School (Avon College) and local landmarks such as "The (Avon) Cider Mill where they make sweet cider" and "Ye Old Grist Mill." One house is identified as "Underground R.R. Station." Other historical references include "Will Warren's Den," "The Aqueduct," "The Elm Tree Inn where Washington spent the night," and the "Old Indian Burying Ground."
Description: Manuscript map of Farmington, Connecticut, depicting the Farmington and Pequabuck Rivers and the Farmington Canal, the town and its public buildings, and the surrounding area. The railroad station and mail coach road are shown on the left, along with the old Indian burying ground and Round Hill. Below the town is a cluster of mountain peaks, including Rattlesnake Mountain and "Hospital Rock," "where smallpox once was isolated." On the right is an area where "ye mastodon grazed and left his bones 1000 years and more ago." Avon College appears at the very top of the map. Most of the drawings have labels identifying them.
Cartographic Note: No scale
Inscription: Recto, top left, handwritten in black ink: "YE MAP OF / FARMINGTON" Bottom right, handwritten in black ink: "L[?]B. Ye[illegible]es / Fecit 1926" Verso, top left, handwritten in pencil: "[98981]"
Object Number: 2005.189.0
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend