Skip navigation
Ye Burying Place
1899
Draftsman:Compiled by Albert L. Washburn , American, 1857 - 1948
Drawing; graphite, black ink, and colored chalk on wove paper on fabric backing
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 56 3/4 x 57 1/2in. (144.1 x 146.1cm) Sheet (height x width): 58 x 60 7/8in. (147.3 x 154.6cm)
Credit Line: Gift of Albert L. Washburn
Gallery Copy: Albert L. Washburn donated this map of Hartford's Ancient Burying Ground to the Connecticut Historical Society in 1899, the same year in which he compiled it, basing his drawing on old land records, copies of which he donated at the same time. The map shows the many changes that took place in the property between the seventeenth century, when the land was first set aside for burial purposes, and the end of the nineteenth century, when Gold Street, which borders the Burying Ground on the south, was widened.
Description: Plan of the Ancient Burying Ground in Hartford, Connecticut. The map is oriented with north to the right; Lewis Street is on the west, Main Street on the east, and Gold Street on the south. The maps shows when different parcels of land were acquired by the city of Hartford and gives the names of the previous owners and the dates of the transactions. The location of the first meeting house, an eighteenth century schoolhouse, and the nineteenth-century Waverly Building are shown. The map also shows the buildings that were torn down in the process of widening Gold Street in the 1890s.
Cartographic Note: One inch equals 10 feet
Inscription: On recto, lower left, in black ink, "'Ye Burying Place' / Compiled from Records by / A. L. Washburn, / Hartford, Conn. / 1899 / Scale 1" = 10'"
Object Number: 1899.18.0
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend