Skip navigation
Aransas Bay
1858
Drawing; black and red ink on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 24 1/16 x 36 1/2in. (61.1 x 92.7cm) Sheet (height x width): 24 3/4 x 37 3/8in. (62.9 x 94.9cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: James W. Byrne, a native of Ireland and a veteran of the Texas Revolution, established the town of Lamar, Texas, on Aransas Bay in 1838. Beginning in 1856, he conveyed large parcels of land in the area to Hartford gun-manufacturer Samuel Colt, perhaps hoping that Colt would establish a gun factory on the Texas Coast. This manuscript map was included in a letter that Byrne sent to Colt in 1858. The last transaction between Bryne and Colt apparently took place on April 2, 1861, barely ten days before the bombardment of Fort Sumter. Colt died in 1862 without ever visiting Texas. Byrne died in 1865.
Description: Manuscript map of Aransas Bay, Texas, and the surrounding land, including Lamar Warehouse. In the waters of the bay, Goose Island is depicted in the lower right corner, and on the left side, a dock or other structure on stilts is shown, with a line leading to the warehouse on land. The line is labeled, "Proposed Road." To the left of the drawing is a diagram of the road with its dimensions, including elevation. Sections of land are divided into what are probably house lots, with five houses or other dwelling places depicted. On the left side, the water appears to cover part of the land. In the center is a triangular piece of land with no divisions, at the bottom of which is the Lamar Warehouse. The land is labeled with, "Reservation by & for the proprietors
Cartographic Note: No scale
Inscription: Recto, bottom center, handwritten in black ink: "ARANSAS BAY" Bottom left, handwritten in black ink: "By R.F. Patton" Verso, center, handwritten in black ink: "Map [underlined] / Accompanying letter / Lamar [underlined] Texas July 5th 58 / from / Jas. W. Byrne Es [?]"
Object Number: 2012.312.204
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend