Skip navigation
Woodland Trails near Bristol
1933
Publisher:Published by Connecticut Forest and Park Association , American, founded 1895
Draftsman:Drawn by Perry N. Deming , American, 1888 - 1962
Blueprint; cyanotype on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 21 1/2 x 15in. (54.6 x 38.1cm) Sheet (height x width): 22 x 15 1/2in. (55.9 x 39.4cm)
Credit Line: Gift of Gary W. Potter
Gallery Copy: The Connecticut Forest and Park Association began laying out hiking trails in 1929, and by 1933, when this map of the Tunixis Trail was published, the blue trail system in Connecticut was already quite extensive. The Tunxis Trail, located conveniently close to Hartford, was one of the first trails to be completed. Romeyn Spare and Perry Deming, the two men who collaborated on this map in 1933, produced an updated version in 1955, almost twenty years later..
Description: Map of the Tunxis Trail system in Bristol, Connecticut, and the surrounding communities of Collinsville, Canton, Unionville, Farmington, Burlington, Harwinton, Plantsville, Plymouth, Terryville, and Wolcott. Parts of the Mattatuck, Metacomet, and Qunnipiac Trails are also shown. Major features include the Nepaug Reservoir, Buttermilk Falls and other waterfalls, a fish hatchery, a coppermine, a log cabin, a quarry, an unconformity, the Devil's Kitchen, the Johnnycake Mountain Fire Tower, and Tories Den. Major state highways include Routes 10, 6, 177, 167, 101, and 117. Small cartoon figures include hikers, rock climbers, a man cooking over a campfire, and a woman wading in a pond.
Cartographic Note: One inch equals one mile
Inscription: On recto, upper left, in cyanotype, "WOODLAND TRAILS NEAR BRISTOL / TUNXIS TRAIL, ITS LOOPS, CROSSOVERS / FEEDERS, AND OTHER BLUE-BLAZED / TRAILS SHOWN THUS - - - - / NUMBERS INDICATE CONVENIENT APPROACHES / CONN. FOREST AND PARK ASSOCIATION. / 115 CHURCH NEW HAVEN"; left center, "Corrected to 5-25-33" On verso, lower right, in pencil, "2012.548.3"
Object Number: 2012.548.3
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend