Skip navigation
West Part of Centrebrook, Town of Essex
1874
Publisher:Published by F. W. Beers & Co. , American
Lithography; black printer's ink and watercolor on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 15 1/4 x 23 1/8in. (38.7 x 58.7cm) Sheet (height x width): 15 1/4 x 23 1/4in. (38.7 x 59.1cm)
Credit Line: Museum purchase
Gallery Copy: The west part of Centerbrook was dominated by the factories of Comstock, Cheney & Co. This map clearly shows the bleach houses where elephant ivory was processed, as well as the factory where it was made into piano and organ keys. The area was later known as Ivoryton. The east part of Centerbrook was approximately in the center of the original town of Saybrook; its name is derived from "Center Saybrook," just as Westbrook is derived from "West Saybrook." Both Centerbrook and Ivoryton are villages within the town of Essex. This map was originally part of an atlas published by F. W. Beers & Co.
Description: Maps of the west and east parts of the hamlet of Centrebrook in the town of Essex, Connecticut. The west part map shows many of the businesses, including the Comstock, Cheney and Company ivory works, along the Falls River, while the east part map shows mostly residences. Roads are labeled and are lined with residences, businesses and public buildings, all indicated with rectangular shapes and labeled with the owner or occupant's name. Property boundaries are marked with thin, single lines, and a cemetery is colored green, presumably to indicate open spaces.
Cartographic Note: Scale: 1 inch equals 20 rods
Inscription: Recto, right side, printed in black ink: "WEST PART OF / CENTREBROOK / TOWN OF ESSEX" Left side, printed in black ink: "EAST PART OF / CENTREBROOK / TOWN OF ESSEX"
Object Number: 1980.100.4
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend