Skip navigation
Water Supply Sources of The Metropolitan District
1946
Lithography; black and colored printer's inks on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 16 7/8 x 13 1/8in. (42.9 x 33.3cm) Sheet (height x width): 21 x 16in. (53.3 x 40.6cm)
Credit Line: Gift of the heirs of Morgan B. Brainard
Gallery Copy: The growing need for water in the Hartford area in the first half of the twentieth century caused the Hartford Water Works to greatly expand its water supply system, first by adding more dams and more reservoirs in West Hartford, then reaching out to surrounding towns. The Nepaug Reservoir in Collinsville was begun in 1911 and completed in 1917. By 1931, when the Barkhamsted Reservoir was begun, the Metropolitan District Commission had been created to meet the needs not only of Hartford but of Bloomfield, Newington, Wethersfield, and Windsor as well. This regional approach to water supply made sense, but as the MDC kept adding towns, the demand for water kept increasing. The Barkhamsted Dam was completed in 1940. and planning began almost immediately for yet another reservoir. The Hogback Reservoir appears on this 1946 map, but plans for the new reservoir would not be approved by the General Assembly until 1949, and contruction of the dam would not begin until 1955. It would not be completed until December 7, 1960.
Description: Map of northwestern and central Connecticut and southwestern Massachusetts. A thick red line indicates the boundaries of the Metropolitan District, within which are Bloomfield, Windsor, West Hartford, Hartford, East Hartford, Wethersfield, Rocky Hill, Glastonbury and Newington. Yellow and brown are used to show the locations of watersheds. Concentric circles in five-mile increments radiate out from the Capitol. The Connecticut River and other water areas are shown in blue. In the top right corner is a table showing the sizes of the Nepaug, Barkhamsted and Hogback reservoirs.
Cartographic Note: Scale: 1/4 inch equals 1 mile
Inscription: Recto, top right, printed in black ink: "Water Supply Sources of The Metropolitan District" Bottom right, printed in black ink: THE METROPOLITAN DISTRICT / HARTFORD COUNTY, CONN. / WATER BUREAU / STUDY OF WATER SUPPLY AREAS / AND DISTRIBUTION WITHIN THE AREA / 20 MILES FROM STATE CAPITOLD AS / AUTHORIZED BY / GENERAL ASSEMBLY, / SUBSTITUTE FOR HOUSE BILL 719, / DATED MAY 8, 1931" Bottom right, printed in black ink: "MARCH 19, 1946 / BASED ON THE U.S. GEOLOGICAL SURVEY MAPS ACC. 2683" Verso, top left, handwritten in pencil: "MAP BOX / 95" Top right, handwritten in pencil: "Map Box #95" Center, handwritten in pencil: "1965-33-31" Bottom left, handwritten in pencil: "1965-33-31" Bottom right, handwritten in pencil: "1965-33-31"
Object Number: 1965.33.31
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend