Skip navigation
Up Neck in 1825
about 1890
Maker:Made by Unknown
Drawing; pencil and ink on lined wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 20 1/8 x 6 3/4in. (51.1 x 17.1cm) Sheet (height x width): 24 3/8 x 8in. (61.9 x 20.3cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: The Neck was an early name for the narrow strip of land in the North End of Hartford, Connecticut, extending north from Village Street along the hillside to Windsor. "Up Neck" referred to the northern end of the neck. The expression remained in common use through the end of the nineteenth century. Gurdon Wadsworth Russell (1815-1909), a Hartford physician and amateur historian, included a version of this map in "Up Neck" in 1825, a book of boyhood remininscences. This version of the map was apparently intended as an illustration for an article in the Hartford Times, where Dr. Russell's remininscences appeared prior to their publication in book form. Dr. Russell grew up in this part of Hartford. Russell Street is named for his father.
Description: Manuscript map of the Hartford, Connecticut, area known as "Up Neck." This map shows the northern part of the Neck, from Belden's Lane in the south to the city line of Windsor in the north, and marks with open squares residences, the state arsenal,and a cemetery. The names of homeowners and businesses are provided. There are several roads or lanes noted on the map, most of them labeled with the town or natural feature to which they lead ("Road to Windsor," "To Albany," "To the Meadow"). Mile 1, 2 and 3 are marked on the map as well.
Cartographic Note: No scale Classification Note: In terms of this project, "historical maps" refer to those made at a later date than the time period depicted. Subject Note: This map is likely related to the book, "Up Neck" in 1825, by Gurdon Wadsworth Russell, published in 1890 by Case, Lockwood & Brainard. There is a map, also called "Up Neck" in 1825, that was included with the publication. Note the list of property owners along the Road to Windsor in 1825 include: Samuel Marsh, E. Terry, Judge J.T. Peters, Michael Olcott, Thos. Belden, T Belden Store House, L. Kennedy’s Shop, Benji Pratt, Leonard Kennedy, Moses Burr, John H. Lord, Jas. Sheldon, Harris Olcott, Gurdon Wadsworth, Jas. Anderson, John Bowles (shoemaker), Richard Wadsworth, Archibald Greenfield, Thos. Wells, Miss Patty Goodwin, Church, Joseph Cook, Old Alms House, State Arsenal, Thos. Marvin, I. Lord Skinner, George Church, Rev. Henry Grew, Luther Savage, Josiah Capen, School House, Julius Jones, Nathan Wadsworth, George Cook, Wm. L. Church, Button Factory, John Goodwin, Cookers Shop, Samuel Beckin, Theodore Sheneer, John Sheneer, Benj. Sheneer, T.S Blacksmith Shop, Button Shop, Allyn Goodwin, Moses Goodwin, Abner Wadsworth, Wm. Wadsworth, George Wadsworth, Asa Goodwin, John Sheldon, R. Strong Mather, Thos. Wadsworth, Timothy Marsh, John Millard, Edward Marsh, John Marsh, Hez. Marsh Note the titles of roads off of the Road to Windsor: “To the Meadow” , “To Blue Hills”, “Nigger Lane”, “Belden’s Lane”, and “To Albany”
Inscription: Recto, top, handwritten in pencil: "Make 2 columns of 'Times'[?]" Top, handwritten in pencil: "(space for heading") Top, handwritten in black ink: "Up NECK / IN 1825" There are nine "X"s marked in pencil on the borders: one at the top, three each on the sides, and two on the bottom.
Object Number: 2012.312.16
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend