Skip navigation
Town Plat of Enfield, Connecticut, Also its Extension Through the North and South Fields, 1680-1700
1920
Maker:Made by Unknown
Blueline print; cyanotype on paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 28 1/2 x 17 3/8in. (72.4 x 44.1cm) Sheet (height x width): 29 3/4 x 18 3/4in. (75.6 x 47.6cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: The first settlers of Enfield, Connecticut came from Salem, Massachusetts, and the town was part of the latter state for more than sixy years. Even after the border dispute was formally resolved in favor of Connecticut in 1749, some maps continued to place the town in Massachusetts. This blueprint showing the house lots of the early settlers is a copy of a drawng made long afterwards, probably in the early twentieth century.
Description: Map of Enfield, Connecticut, from a freshwater brook to the north, lots of land to the east, the town line of Windsor to the south, and the Connecticut River to the west. On the east and west sides of the main road running through Enfield, land grant lots are shown, labeled with the owner's name and the date of the grant, if known. Some roads are shown and labeled.
Cartographic Note: Scale: 1 inch equals 16 rods
Inscription: Recto, top right, in blue on white: TOWN PLAT OF ENFIELD, CONN. / ALSO ITS EXTENSION THROUGH THE / NORTH AND SOUTH FIELDS. / 1680-1700 / SCALE -- 16 RODS TO THE INCH / RANGE OF THE HOME LOTS ABOUT 11°S. or E."
Object Number: 2012.312.126
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend