Skip navigation
Town of Wethersfield, Connecticut
1976
Lithography; black, green and blue printer's inks on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 12 3/8 x 16in. (31.4 x 40.6cm) Sheet (height x width): 12 7/8 x 16 1/2in. (32.7 x 41.9cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: A comparison between this 1976 map of Wetherfield and early maps of the area not only show how the town had changed and grown over the years, but also document significant changes in the course of the Connecticut River. The William H. Putnam Memorial Bridge, completed in 1959, replaced the historic ferry crossing, and Interstate 91 superceded the old road from Hartford to New Haven. With its dense network of residential streets, its parks and open space, its golf clubs and cemeteries, Wethersfield had developed into a classic bedroom suburb for nearby Hartford.
Description: Map of the town of Wethersfield, Connecticut, from Hartford to the north, the Connecticut River to the east, Rocky Hill to the south, and Newington to the west. Local roads are depicted and labeled, as is Interstate 91, with the proposed Interstate 291 appearing as broken solid parallel lines at the bottom. Green is used to denote cemeteries, parks, schools, counry clubs and "open spaces," while blue represents water in the forms of ponds, reservoirs and the river. The Penn Central Railroad runs north-south through the town. The town seal is shown at the bottom, and to the left of the map are lists of streets; recreational, cultural and historical places; schools, libraries and educational facilities; government offices and facilities; and miscellaneous.
Cartographic Note: Scale: 1:24000
Inscription: Recto, right side, printed in black ink: "PREPARED BY / THE METROPOLITAN DISTRICT / P.O. BOX 800 / HARTFORD CONNECTICUT 06101" Bottom right, printed in black ink: "TOWN OF / WETHERSFIELD / CONNECTICUT / 1976" Verso, bottom right, handwritten in pencil: "#088218"
Object Number: 1988.209.0
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend