Skip navigation
Town of West Hartford, West Hartford Center Section
after 1891
Publisher:Published by Frederick C. Rockwell , American, 1855 - 1928
Lithography; black printer's ink and watercolor on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 20 x 30in. (50.8 x 76.2cm) Sheet (height x width): 22 3/4 x 32 1/2in. (57.8 x 82.6cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: The extent of Frederick C. Rockwell's real estate holdings is evident in this map of West Hartford from around 1900. Individual houselots line the Boulevard between Main Street and Quaker Lane. Other parcels of land, slightly farther west, have not yet been subdivided. On the map, Rockwell describes himself as "dealer in most desirable West Hartford Real Estate." The map also provides a glimpse of West Hartford center in this period, with its churches, school, and Masonic Hall, and a handful of businesses, including a hardware store, E. H. Arnold & Co., and the Trout Brook Ice Company. The trolley line running down Farmington Avenue provides easy access to downtown Hartford.
Description: Map of part of West Hartford, Connecticut, from Fern Street to the north, Quaker Lane to the east, Park Street to the south, and Fairview Cemetery to the west. Trout Brook runs through it. Real estate is shown, with lots of land labeled with the owners names and showing buildings of various materials and uses. Two plats, subdivided into numbered lots that Fred C. Rockwell was selling, are depicted at the bottom. There is a street railroad on Farmington Avenue.
Cartographic Note: 1 inch equals 300 feet Date Note: The notations "estate of Erastus Gilbert" and "Gilbert Heirs" appear on the map. Erastus Gilbert died in 1891, leaving extensive real estate holdings.
Inscription: Recto, top left, printed in black ink: "TOWN OF / WEST HARTFORD / WEST HARTFORD CENTER SECTION" Left side, printed in black ink: "FRED. C. ROCKWELL, / DEALER IN MOST DESIRABLE / West Hartford Real Estate, / OFFICE, 24 MECHANIC STREET, / HARTFORD CONN." Names of the property owners indicated on the map includes: On Farmington Avenue: Edward Keeney, Erastus Gilbert, John B. Robinson (next to the car house), S. P. Griswold (occurs five times), George M. Hersey, Mrs. Louis M. Smith, S. V. Evgelke, Justus Millard, Mrs. Clara K. Woodford, Mrs. E. S. Hamilton, Mrs. Smith, H. B. Allen, Mrs. S. A. Lord, W. H. Hall, F. G. Butler, David Stoddard, Mrs. Blinn Francis, Nathan Miller, Mrs. L. J. Andrews, M. S. Buckland (Store and P.O.), Mrs. M. J. Shepard, M. A. Andrews, E. H. Arnold and Son, Mrs. H. L. Nichols, E. H. Arnold, E. G. Clark, N. G. White, R. L. Webb (occurs twice), Anson Chappell, George Foster, Gilbert Heirs, J. D. Brown, Heirs of P. G. Parsons, William Griswold, George B. Foster On Main Street: Mrs. Seymour Steele, H. Hawley, W. A. Burr, Mrs. Goodman, James A. King, D. W. Ellsworth, Mrs. Chas Scarborough, Heirs of Angel Talcott, Asher Rogers, J. P. Oviatt, Mrs. Chas. Cain, Mrs. Margaret W. Seyms, D. G. Francis, Mrs. M and L. Ellsworth, D. W. E. Alcott, Walter Caldwell, George R. Howard, Mrs. E. G. Sisson, Rufus Keeney (4A), George E. Flagg, Misses E. and A. Elmer, Mrs. Amelia Humphrey, Joseph E. Brage, Edward Keeney (36A), C. M. Pond, Elizur Keeney, Rufus ___y, Reverend E. L. Jaggar, Mrs. C. W. Flagg, Benjamin S. Bishop On Quaker Lane: A. C. Ware, John Ward, William Matson On Prince Street: Peter H. Bush, F. C. Rockwell, Mrs. Kate Stutz, Henry Bush, Peter H. Bush On Outlook Avenue: N. G. White On Park Street: Charles Hawley, Mrs. I. Rainsford, Charles Hatch, Walter Cadwell, Antonio King, James M. Thomson (occurs twice), J. W. Ryder, J and W. M. Steele, E. H. Seymour
Object Number: 2012.312.130
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend