Skip navigation
Town of West Hartford Water Distribution System
1998
Lithography; colored printer's inks on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 35 x 31in. (88.9 x 78.7cm) Sheet (height x width): 36 x 31 3/4in. (91.4 x 80.6cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: Since the 1860s, a large portion of Hartford's water supply had come from reservoirs in West Hartford, and as part of the original negotiations, West Hartford received all the drinking water that it needed. Therefore, West Hartford was one of the last towns in the greater Hartford area to join the Metropolitan District Commission, finally becoming a member in 1984. In 1988, the Metropolitan District began computer mapping using GIS (Geographic Information System). This 1998 map of West Hartford's water distribution system was made using the new technology.
Description: Map of the town of West Hartford, Connecticut with Bloomfield to the north, Hartford to the east, Newington to the south, and Avon and Farmington to the west. Streets, railroads, streams, ponds, lakes, and reservoirs are shown with water mains indicated in red. A Water Service Legend at lower right provides a key to hydrants, hydrants subject fo pumped pressure, gate valves (sixteen inch main or larger), MDC water mains (less than six inches in diameter, six to twenty-three inches in diameter, and twenty-four inches or larger in diameter), private water mains, limit of high service, and limit of high service second stage. Hydrants located on private water mains are not shown. An index of West Hartford streets is at upper right. The boundary of the MDC is indicated to the west.
Cartographic Note: 1 inch equals 1000 feet
Inscription: On recto, lower left, printed in black ink, "THE METROPOLITAN DISTRICT / WATER DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM / TOWN OF / WEST HARTFORD / CONNECTICUT / 1998" On verso, lower right, in pencil, accession number
Object Number: 2012.312.257
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend