Skip navigation
Town of West Hartford Sanitary Sewer System
1998
Maker:Prepared by Metropolitan District Commission , American, founded 1929
Lithography; black and colored printer's inks on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 35 1/4 x 31in. (89.5 x 78.7cm) Sheet (height x width): 35 1/2 x 31 3/4in. (90.2 x 80.6cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: Despite the fact that the Metropolitan District Commission operates several reservoirs and owns a great deal of property within the town of West Hartford, West Hartford was not originally part of the area served by the MDC. By the time West Hartford joined the MDC in 1984, the town already had miles of sewers, many of them dating to the early 1900s. During heavy rains, a large amount of stormwater finds its way into West Hartford's sewers, leading to the overflow of raw sewage into Trout Brook, the Park River, and people's basements.
Description: Map of the town of West Hartford with Bloomfield to the north, Hartford to the east, Newington to the south, and Avon and Farmington to the west. Streets, highways, and highway intersections are shown. Streams include Trout Brook and the South Branch of the Park River. Bodies of water include Wood Pond, Woodbridge Lake, Dyke Pond, and Reservoirs Nos. 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6. Sewer lines are indicated in red. A Sanitary Sewer Legend at lower right provides a key to sewers six to twenty-three inches in diameter, sewers twenty-four inches or large in diameter, force mains, manholes, pump stations, and pump station service areas. A key to West Hartford streets is at the right. An arrow pointing north is at lower left.
Cartographic Note: 1 inch equals 1000 feet
Inscription: On recto, lower left, printed in red ink, "THE METROPOLITAN DISTRICT / SANITARY SEWER SYSTEM"; printed in black ink, "TOWN OF/ WEST HARTFORD / CONNECTICUT / 1998 / 06.01" On verso, lower right, in pencil, accession number
Object Number: 2012.312.256
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend