Skip navigation
Thames River, Connecticut, showing the obstructions below Norwich
about 1910
Surveyor:Surveyed by Unknown
Printer:Printed by Unknown
Lithography; black printer's ink on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 9 x 5 11/16in. (22.9 x 14.4cm) Sheet (height x width): 10 3/4 x 7 5/8in. (27.3 x 19.4cm)
Credit Line: Museum purchase
Gallery Copy: Connecticut's Thames River was an important waterway in the nineteenth and early twentieth century, with heavy steamboat traffic transporting passengers and freight to railheads at New London and Norwich. Regular dredging operations were necessary to maintain the channel and to remedy obstructions resulting from spring freshets and heavy accumulations of ice during the winters. This modest map may have been produced by the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers to accompany a report on such conditions, possibly to solicit funding from the federal government.
Description: Chart of the Thames River below Norwich, Connecticut, showing water depth, water curves, sandbars, coves, points, shoals and flats. The Shetucket River is located to the southeast of Norwich. Below the title is the seal and motto of the Army Corps of Engineers, featuring the Corps Castle with three towers, and the French word "essayons," or "let us try."
Cartographic Note: Scale: 2 3/8 inches equals 1 mile Constiuent Note: The "Engraving Bureau" whose imprint appears on this map may have been a federal agency. Medium Note: The print is probably a transfer lithograph, even though there is an inscription that says it was engraved.
Inscription: Recto, right side, printed in black ink: "THAMES RIVER CONN. / showing the obstructions below / NORWICH" Right side, printed in black ink: "Reduced and Engraved in the Engr. Bureau" Verso, top left, handwritten in pencil: "Map Box / 139" Top, handwritten in pencil: "Deacidified / 3/12/02" Bottom left, handwritten in pencil: "MAP BOX / 139"
Object Number: 1982.129.3
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend