Skip navigation
A Plat of the East Section ofJoseph Bailey's Lands, or Farm in Sterling, Connecticut
1848
Surveyor:Surveyed by William C. Stanton , American, 1807 - 1877
Draftsman:Drawn by William C. Stanton , American, 1807 - 1877
Drawing; watercolor on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 21 3/4 x 16 3/4in. (55.2 x 42.5cm) Sheet (height x width): 22 1/2 x 17 5/8in. (57.2 x 44.8cm)
Credit Line: Museum purchase
Gallery Copy: In 1834, the plot of land in Sterling, Connecticut shown here, formed part of the estate of Archibald Gordon, who had died the previous year.. By 1848, the property had passed to John Gordon, who appears to have been Archibald's son, and John deeded it to James Bailey, who owned the adjoining lot. A smaller plot of land, which included a schoolhouse, straddled the two pieces of property, appears on both maps.
Description: Plat map of a land lot in Sterling, Connecticut, belonging to James Bailey. The land is located at the corner of two unnamed roads and is measured in feet and rods. Along the left side is a leased lot that is partly inside the Bailey lot and partly outside; on it stands the Bailey Schoolhouse. Another building, labeled "James Bailey," appears at the top left.
Cartographic Note: Scale: 1 inch equals 40 feet
Inscription: Recto, left side, handwritten in black ink: "A PLAT / OF / THE EAST SECTION OF / JAMES BAILEY'S / LANDS, OR / FARM / IN STERLING CONN. / Surveyed Dec 4th 1848 and / Drawn Dec. 19th by / Wm C Stanton County Survey." Verso, bottom, handwritten in pencil: "1969-42-3"
Object Number: 1969.42.3
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend