Skip navigation
A Plan of the Town of New Haven. With all the buildings in 1748
about 1865
Printer:Printed by Charles Currier , American, 1818 - 1887
After a work by:After a work by James Wadsworth , American, 1730 - 1817
Maker:Dedicated by David R. Brown
Lithography; black printer's ink and watercolor on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 21 5/8 x 15 5/8in. (54.9 x 39.7cm) Sheet (height x width): 23 x 17 1/2in. (58.4 x 44.5cm)
Credit Line: Gift of the Heirs of Morgan B. Brainard
Gallery Copy: The architect David R. Brown issued this reprint of the important early map of New Haven that had been drawn by James Wadsworth in 1748 and printed by Thomas Kensett in 1806. Brown's version of the map is slightly reduced in scale and somewhat simpler than the earlier original; the elaborate border of the 1806 map has been replaced by a single rule, and the flowing script has been replaced by simple block lettering. Brown was a skilled draftsman and may have redrawn this later version himself shortly after he returned home to New Haven from the Civil War. While the original map was dedicated to The Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences, Brown dedicated his version to the citizens of New Haven, suggesting that it was intended primarily for a local audience. The Connecticut Historical Society has two copies of this later version of the map with very different hand-coloring. While color printing was becoming common by the 1860s, many lithographs were still colored by hand using watercolors.
Description: The town of New Haven, Connecticut, with depictions of houses accompanied by the names and professions of their owners or occupants in 1748. The map is oriented with the north arrow pointing toward the top right corner, and it extends from York Street at the top, Grove Street to the right, Water Street at the bottom and Morocco Street to the west. In the center of the map is the town green, which contains the grammar school, county house, court house,an unnamed building, an unnamed church and a building labeled as the "goal," which may be a misspelling of "gaol." There is also a cemetery, three canons, and "2 Trees Planted in 1686." Yale College appears at the top of the green. On the right side is a list of the first grantees, depicted as written on a scroll; at the top of the scroll is what appears to be a fir tree branch, and at the bottom is an olive branch.
Cartographical Scale: About 3 3/4" equals 60 rods Constituent Note: The Charles Currier who printed this lithograph was the brother of Nathaniel Currier, one of the partners in the lithographic firm, Currier & Ives. James Merritt Ives, the other partner, was Currier's brother-in-law. Charles Currier was sometimes associated with his brother's firm and sometimes issued prints on his own.
Inscription: Recto, bottom center, printed in black ink: "A PLAN OF THE TOWN / OF / New Haven. / WITH ALL THE BUILDINGS IN 1748 / Taken by the HON. GEN. WADSWORTH of Durham, to which are / added the Name's and Profession's of the Inhabitants at that period, / also the Location of Lots to many of the first Grantees.-" Bottom center, printed in black ink: "Respectfully dedicated to the citizens of New Haven by / DAVID R. BROWN." Bottom, printed in black ink: "NB. Houses painted red.....r / " " blue .... b" Bottom right, printed in black ink: "LITH. BY C. CURRIER, - 33 SPRUCE ST. N.Y." Right side, printed in black ink: "FIRST GRANTEES. / JOHN MORRIS 1. / PHILLIP LEEK 2. / ISA. ALLERTON 3. / WM. PAYNE 4. / TALLMADGE 5. / WM. PRESTON 6. / HALL 7. / JOHN. ATWATER 8. / JOHN SACKET 9. / PROUT 10. / HEN. GLOVER 11. / MR. LEETE 12. / JOSEPH ALSOP 13. / WM. ROSEWELL 14. / JN. WINSTONE 15. / JOSH ATWATER 16. / ..... 17. / TH. LAMBERTON 18. / RO. TALMADGE 19. / MALBONE 20. / JOHN NASH 21. / J. DAVENPORT 22. / BISHOP 23. / THEO. EATON 24 / THS. MEEKS 25. / RICHD. PERRY 26. / JOHN COOPER 27. / MO. MANSFIELD 28. / BEN. LING 29 / TENCH 30. / THO. FUGILL 31. / PUNDERSON 32 / GIBBARD 33 / J. OSBORN 34 / J. HARRIMAN 35. / MAT. GILBERT 36. / THO. GREGSON 27. / ALLEN 38." Verso, top left, handwritten in pencil: "MAP / Box / 155 / Copy 2" Top right, handwritten in pencil: "67206" Center, handwritten in pencil: "W.A. Beales / 3/9 M, 1.12 [illegible]" Bottom, handwritten in pencil: "1079"
Object Number: 1960.93.21
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend