Skip navigation
A Map of the Fire Land from actual Survey
1806?
Surveyor:Surveyed by Almon Ruggles , American, 1771 - 1840
Printmaker:Engraved by Amos Doolittle , American, 1754 - 1832
Engraving; black printer's ink on paper, lined with paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 18 x 12in. (45.7 x 30.5cm) Sheet (height x width): 19 1/8 x 14 3/8in. (48.6 x 36.5cm) Mount (height x width): 20 x 15 1/4in. (50.8 x 38.7cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: In 1805, Almon Ruggles left Danbury, Connecticut to survey the so-called Firelands. This portion of the Western Reserve, which was also known as the "Sufferers' Lands," was to be given as compensation to residents of Connecticut towns that were burned by the British during the American Revolution. In addition to Danbury, the towns included Fairfield, Greenwich, Groton, New Haven, New London, Norwalk, and Ridgefield. Ruggles remained in the future state of Ohio after completing his survey and enjoyed a successful career as a state legislator and judge. Ruggles township, which appears on this map, was named for him.
Description: Map of the Firelands in Ohio, with Lake Erie and Sandusky Bay to the north, the Vermillion River and Connecticut Land Company land to the east, and "lands subject to Indian claim" to the west. The townships of Danbury, Patterson, Perkins, Huron, Vermillion, Groton, Oxford, Avery, Eldredge, Jesup, Lyme, Ridgefield, Norwalk, Townsend, Wakeman, Sherman, Vredenburgh, Bronson, Canterbury, Clarksfield, Norwich, Greenfield, Fairfield, Fitchville, New London, Cannon, New Haven, Ripley, Greenwich, and Ruggles are all shown. Physical features depicted include rivers, the lake and bay, and marshes. Range numbers are shown along the right and bottom sides of the image.
Cartographic Note: No scale
Inscription: Recto, top right, printed in black ink: "A / Map / of the / FIRE LAND / From actual Survey / by / Almon Ruggles" Bottom right, printed in black ink: "Engraved by A. Doolittle" In some of the townships, names of who were presumably residents have been added to the map by hand. Verso, top left, handwritten in pencil: "Maps / Flat / 45" Center, handwritten in pencil: "90065"
Object Number: 1990.182.0
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend