Skip navigation
A Map of the Connecticut Western Reserve, from actual Survey
1798
Surveyor:Surveyed by Seth Pease , American, 1774 - 1819
Maker:Updated by Abraham Tappan , American, 1759 - 1855
Printmaker:Engraved by Amos Doolittle , American, 1754 - 1832
Engraving; black printer's ink and color on paper, lined with paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 19 x 32 1/2in. (48.3 x 82.6cm) Sheet (height x width): 20 x 33 3/4in. (50.8 x 85.7cm) Mount (height x width): 20 x 33 3/4in. (50.8 x 85.7cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: According to Connecticut's original colonial charter, the western boundary of the state reached all the way to the Pacific Ocean. In 1786, the new Federal government granted Connecticut a strip of territory along Lake Erie in return for relinquishing its other western land claims. This area, known as the Western Reserve, later became part of the state of Ohio. Seth Pease, a surveyor from Suffield, Connecticut, was a member of the first surveying expedition sent out to the Western Reserve by the Connecticut Land Company in 1796. Pease engaged Amos Doolittle, a New Haven engraver, to produce the first printed map of the territory in 1798.
Description: Map of the Connecticut Western Reserve in what is now Ohio, from Sandusky Bay and Lake Erie to the north, Ashtabula and Trumbull counties to the east, Medina and Portage counties to the south, and the Fire Land to the west. The other counties depicted are Lorain, Cuyahoga and Geauga. All counties are outlined in red and each county seat is colored red. The land is divided into named townships or numbered ranges. The Fire Land (now Firelands), directly west of the Western Reserve, contains no divisions. Rivers, lakes, bays and paths are also included on the map.
Cartographic Note: No scale
Inscription: Recto, top left, printed in black ink: "A Map of the / CONNECTICUT / Western Reserve / from actual Survey / By / Seth Pease & Abm. Tappen" Bottom left, printed in black ink: "FIRE LAND so called. It being a Grant of / 500,000 Acres by the Legislature of the State of Connecticut / to certain Sufferers in the late war with Britain. it is presum- / ed that the Eastern Boundary of said Grant will fall near / the mouth of the Vermillion River, and is denoted by a broken line" Bottom right, printed in black ink: "Engraved & Printed for the Author by Amos Doolittle Newhaven" Verso, top left, handwritten in pencil: "Maps / Flat / 19"
Object Number: 2012.312.99
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend