Skip navigation
A Distance Map of the Town of Franklin
1858
Draftsman:Drawn by Andrew B. Smith , American, 1818 - 1885
Drawing; pencil and red and black ink on wove paper, on rollers
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 50 3/4 x 45 3/4in. (128.9 x 116.2cm) Sheet (height x width): 51 1/2 x 45 3/4in. (130.8 x 116.2cm) Mount (height x width): 53 1/2 x 45 3/4in. (135.9 x 116.2cm)
Credit Line: Museum purchase
Gallery Copy: On February 3, 1859, Andrew B. Smith, a descendant of one of Franklin, Connecticut's earliest settlers, was appointed postmaster for that town. It is tempting to link this appointment with the large map of Franlkin showing the distances between all of the houses and businesses that Smith drew the preceeding year. Did Franklin have home mail delivery in the late 1850s? Post office letter carriers delivered mail house-to-house in cities and larger towns, but Franklin was and remains a small place. In 2010, there were fewer than 2000 residents.
Description: Manuscript map of Franklin, Connecticut, with the Shetucket River to the east. The local roads are shown, with black squares along them marking the locations of houses and businesses. The owner's names are provided, along with measurements that indicate the distance between that building and its neighbor. The Shetucket River and various ponds and brooks are shown.
Cartographic Note: Scale: 1 inch equals 48 rods
Inscription: Recto, top right, handwritten in pencil: "A Distance map of the Town of Franklin, / showing the distance from house to hou / se in rods, & the distance from the / Court-House at Norwich Land- / ing in miles, quarter & rods. / By A. B. Smith / Jan 1st 1858. / Scale 48 / rods to / an inch." Verso, top left, handwritten in brown ink: "56286" Top left, handwritten in pencil: "MAPS / Case 5 / No. 1" Top right, handwritten in pencil: "MAPS / Case 5 / No. 1"
Object Number: 1947.21.1
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend