Skip navigation
City of Hartford, Connecticut
1977
Maker:Prepared by the Metropolitan District Commission , American, founded 1929
Lithography; colored printer's inks on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (height x width): 32 x 23 1/8in. (81.3 x 58.7cm) Sheet (height x width): 33 x 29 3/8in. (83.8 x 74.6cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: The Metropolitan District Commission had long been responsible for sewage collection and disposal as well as for the water supply of the greater Hartford area. The large water treatment plant in the South Meadows was constructed by the MDC between 1961 and 1972. In 1979, the MDC would also assume the responsibility for the disposal of solid waste. In 1977, when this map was made, Hartford still burned its garbage at a dump in the North Meadows, tucked between a Police Department Pistol Range and a Fire Department Training Area. Subsequent maps record advances in both water treatment and waste disposal.
Description: Map of Hartford, Connecticut, from the town lines of Bloomfield and Windsor to the north, the Connecticut River to the east, the town lines of Newington and Wethersfield to the south, and the town line of West Hartford to the west. Streets are labeled and public spaces, including parks, schools, colleges, municipal infrastructure and cemeteries are colored green. Water sources (rivers, reservoirs, ponds and the like) are denoted with blue lines. The Police Department Pistol Range, the Fire Department Training Area, the Waste Disposal Area and Incinerator are at upper right; the Metroplitan District Water Treatment Plant is a lower right. To the right of the map is the street index. A compass is at upper right.
Cartographic Note: One inch equals 1000 feet
Inscription: On recto, lower right, printed in black ink, "CITY OF / HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT / 1977" On verso, lower right, in pencil, "1988.224.0" "#088237"
Object Number: 1988.224.0
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend