Skip navigation
City of Hartford, Connecticut
1973
Maker:Made by Metropolitan District Commission , American, founded 1929
Screen print; black, blue and turquoise printer's inks on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 32 1/8 x 23 1/8in. (81.6 x 58.7cm) Sheet (height x width): 33 1/8 x 29 1/8in. (84.1 x 74cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: At first glance this map appears to be a standard street map of Hartford and certainly it would have served that purpose admirably. However, the Metropolitan District Commission, who prepared this map for the City of Hartford, was primarily responsible for the city's water supply, and prominently featured on the map is a new Water Pollution Control Plant, located just south of Brainard Airport. Planning for the massive plant began in 1961 and it was finally completed and dedicated in November 1972. In addition to serving as a street map and celebrating the completion of Hartford's new sewage treatment plant, the map was also used by an unknown person for an unknown purpose either in 1973 or at some later date. Someone has penciled in the names and locations of three historic houses and St. John's Church, all in downtown Hartford.
Description: Map of Hartford, Connecticut, from the town lines of Bloomfield and Windsor to the north, the Connecticut River to the east, the town lines of Newington and Wethersfield to the south, and the town line of West Hartford to the west. Streets are labeled and public spaces, including parks, schools, colleges, municipal infrastructure and cemeteries are colored turquoise. Water sources (rivers, reservoirs, ponds and the like) are denoted with blue lines. To the right of the map is the street index.
Cartographic Note: Scale: 1 inch equals 1000 feet
Inscription: Recto, right side, printed in black ink: "CITY OF / HARTFORD / CONNECTICUT / 1973" Right side, printed in blue ink: "[city seal] SEAL OF THE CITY OF HARTFORD / CONNECTICUT" Right side, handwritten in brown ink: "WATSON-STEWARD HOUSE [with line pointing to hand-drawn box on map]" Right side, handwritten in brown ink: "ST. JOHN'S CHURCH [with line pointing to hand-drawn box on map]" Right side, handwritten in brown ink: "RICHARDS-SEHDLON- / WOODBRIDGE HOUSE [with line pointing to hand-drawn box on map]" Right side, handwritten in brown ink: "BARNARD HOUSE [with line pointing to hand-drawn box on map]" Bottom right, printed in black ink: "PREPARED BY / THE METROPOLITAN DISTRICT / P.O. BOX 800 / HARTFORD CONNECTICUT 06101"
Object Number: 2012.312.167
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend