Skip navigation
City of Hartford
1832
Printmaker:Engraved by Erastus B. Cunningham , American, active 1828 - 1845
Engraving; black printer's ink and watercolor on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 6 7/8 x 5 7/8in. (17.5 x 14.9cm) Platemark (height only): 7 3/4in. (19.7cm) Sheet (height x width): 8 3/8 x 6 7/8in. (21.3 x 17.5cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Gallery Copy: This small map provides a glimpse of early nineteenth-century Hartford, roughly contemporary with John Warner Barber's early views of the city from his Connecticut Historical Collections (1836). Barber's views include the Stone Bridge, the Deaf and Dumb Asylum, Dutch Point, Washington College (later Trinity College), and the Charter Oak. A panorama of the Hartford waterfront in Barber's book focuses on the many church spires along the skyline. All of these landmarks are indicated on this map. The also indicates the locations of other schools and churches, such as the African Church on Talcott Street and the Grammar School, off Main Street. By far the most prominent businesses are the wharves lining the Connecticut River, suggesting the importance of shipping in this era before the railroads. Other businesses include Hanks' Iron Foundry, Tuller & Copeland's Machine Shop, G. & H. Francis Carriage Manufactory, the Aetna Insurance Company, and the Protection Insurance Company. The prominence given to hotels and taverns suggests that travelers may have been seen as a primary audience for this map.
Description: Map of Hartford, Connecticut, divided into twelve wards. The city extends from Meadow Creek to the north, the Connecticut River to the east, the South School House to the south, and the asylum to the west. City streets, schools, churches, businesses and the site of the Charter Oak are labeled. At the far left side of the map, an unnamed asylum appears.
Cartographic Note: no scale
Inscription: Recto, top right, handwritten in pencil: "12 C" Left side, printed in black ink: "CITY OF HARTFORD / 1832" Bottom right, printed in black ink: "Cunningham Sc." Verso, top left, handwritten in pencil: "Map / Box / #45.1" Bottom left, handwritten in pencil: "MAP Box / 45.1"
Object Number: 2012.312.10
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend