Skip navigation
Doctor's Visit at Okeetee Club
about 1906
Photography; gelatin emulsion on glass
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 4 11/16 x 7in. (11.9 x 17.8cm) Plate (height x width): 5 x 7in. (12.7 x 17.8cm)
Credit Line: Gift of the Rosalie Thorne McKenna Foundation
Description: Group of men, women and children outside, are waiting near carriage for the doctor, who visited annually to give typhoid vaccines and treat ailments. There are wooden buildings visible in the background.
Subject Note: The young boy next to the carriage is identified as Dallas Johnson, who was employed by the Okeetee Club until around 1975. The scene depicted in the negative is identified as the annual doctor's visit. Okeetee Club, incorporated in 1894 and possibly designed by the New York, N.Y. architectural firm McKim, Mead & White, was founded as a hunting club in Ridgeland, South Carolina. Jonathan Thorne, Jr., Harriet V.S. Thorne's husband, was a co-founder and is listed as having been present during the years of 1895-1897, 1899-1907, 1909 and 1914. It is unclear whether Harriet was in attendance with her husband. From Rollie Thorne McKenna's correspondence with Leland M. Roth, Assistant Professor of Art History, University of Oregon and Gay Attaway, 1979.
Object Number: 2011.344.12
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend