Skip navigation
Sampler
1811
Credit Line: Gift of Mary Means Huber
Gallery Copy: The detailed tavern at the center of the sampler—distinguished by its suspended sign—and the one-word motto, “INDUSTRY,” set the town of Thompson in time. Once a small hamlet, Thompson boomed with the construction of turnpikes in the 1790s and 1800s. The intersection of two thoroughfares created a thriving location for taverns and shops, and a factory by 1811, the year the sampler was made. By 1850, Thompson had become the most populous town in northeastern Connecticut and one of the wealthiest rural towns in the state. The two names stitched at the bottom are presumably those of the sampler maker and her teacher. Unfortunately, the relationship is not specified, and incomplete biographical information makes it currently impossible to ascertain which was which.
Description:  
Object Number: 2009.330.1
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend