Skip navigation
Sign for Marsh's Inn
about 1785-1810
Original Owner:Possibly originally owned by Ebenezer Marsh Jr. , American, about 1738 - 1807
Maker:Maker Unknown
Paint on pine board, oak frame and iron hardware (both replaced)
Primary Dimensions (height x width including hardware): 77 1/4 x 30 3/4in. (196.2 x 78.1cm) Other (height x width of sign only): 64 x 27 5/8in. (162.6 x 70.2cm)
Credit Line: Collection of Morgan B. Brainard. Gift of Mrs. Morgan B. Brainard
Description: Images: on side 1, the Connecticut state seal (a shield containing three grape vines), over vestiges of an earlier image layer can be just glimpsed but not deciphered; on side 2, a decanter and glasses within a vertical oval. Construction: Single, rectangular board, oriented vertically. The remainder of the sign is evidently a late 19th century construction, made to hold the old signboard. Paired, horizontal rails hold the old signboard as well as separate pediment and skirt boards. The pediment and skirt boards are horizontally-oriented boards, sawn to create decorative profiles and secured with nails. The plinth for the central finial is cut to fit over the pediment. Surface: Side 2 is largely repainted, although thick, aged paint layers exist in the central element of the decanter itself. The bright green field surrounding the state seal on side 1 has also been repainted. Faint evidence of a lower layer shows through-a guilloche- or ribbon-like arc at the top of the seal, suggestive of borders on some versions of the state seal.
Inscription: Text: on both sides, "E. MARSH" over [E. Marsh's] over [D.H(otchkiss??)]" in name band below image field; on side 1, "SIGILL. REIP. / CONNECTICUTENSIS" around the seal.
Object Number: 1961.63.35
Currently On View
Send to a Friend