Skip navigation
Sign for Hemingway's Tavern and Churchill's Inn
about 1836
Paint on pine board, smalt, sand or fine-grained smalt, possibly gold leaf, iron hardware
Primary Dimensions (height x width including hardware): 31 3/8 x 44 1/2in. (79.7 x 113cm) Other (height x width of sign only): 25 5/8 x 44 1/2in. (65.1 x 113cm)
Credit Line: Collection of Morgan B. Brainard, Gift of Mrs. Morgan B. Brainard
Gallery Copy: Two names on this sign, one painted over the other, tie this sign first to the town of Plymouth and then to Harwinton. The first owner, Allen Hemingway of Plymouth, held a tavern license only from 1836-1837. He evidently sold the sign to Lewis Churchill, who was licensed in Harwinton, the town north of Plymouth, in 1838.
Description: Images: None. Text: On both sides, inside top of oval, "L.CHURCHILL,S" over ""HEMINGWAY", inside bottom of oval, "INN", over "TAVERN", in center of oval, "1838" over "STORE." / and" Construction: Single board, grain oriented horizontally, cut to oval shape. Applied banding with bead-molded edge (3/8") is nailed to outer edge of board. The banding is an unidentified, resinous wood, possibly a pine. Coiled C-scroll flourishes made of machine-rolled sheet-iron are nailed into the top and bottom edges of the sign.
Object Note: An incomplete restoration attempted at an unknown date prior to 1939 removed much of the upper layer of paint on side 2, partially exposing the earlier decoration.
Object Number: 1961.63.16
Currently On View
Send to a Friend