Skip navigation
Sign for Hayes's Inn
Original Owner:Originally owned by Obadiah Hayes Jr. , American
Paint on pine board, maple or birch rails and stiles, probably ash molding wrapped around board, unidentified hardwood moldings on frame, gold leaf, iron hardware
Other (height x width of sign only): 28 1/8 x 33 1/4in. (71.4 x 84.5cm)
Credit Line: Collection of Morgan B. Brainard, Gift of Mrs. Morgan B. Brainard
Description: Images: On side 1, eagle's head and upper body atop outline of globe, centered on oval board with serrated border; on top rail, a leafy sprig. On side 2, eight-petaled floret, centered on oval board with plain band border. Text: On side 1, on bottom rail, "HAYES' INN". On side 2, on top rail, "1828"; on bottom rail, "O. HAYES." Construction: Single oval board, grain oriented horizontally, scroll-sawn into oval shape. Flat, horizontal rails and flat, rectangular stiles. Oval board is wrapped in an ash or hickory strap, curved to shape and nailed to board. Large spikes, set in place before the sign was assembled, hold the oval board to the frame at the center of top, bottom, and both sides. Rails are joined to stiles with single through-tenons and double-pinned. Bullnosed strap moldings are nailed to the top and bottom edges of each rail. No pediment or skirt.
Technique Note: Paint colors are primarily black and gold, with detailing in red, yellow, and blue (side 2 only). All design elements have gold leaf. Background is a thin black wash. Stars, numbers, and possibly letters are stenciled. A tool was used for centering the image, possibly a compass or dividers. On side 1, letters are unevenly spaced and are outlined in yellow paint on top of gilding. Historical Note: Original location. The Hayes homestead remains on its original site, opposite the North Granby cemetery.
Object Number: 1961.63.30
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend