Skip navigation
Sign for David Loomis's Inn
1811
Original Owner:Originally owned by David Loomis , American, 1774 - 1840
Paint on pine, iron hardware
Primary Dimensions (height x width including hardware): 34 1/4 x 32 1/4in. (87 x 81.9cm) Other (height x width of sign only): 25 1/2 x 32 1/2in. (64.8 x 82.6cm)
Credit Line: Museum purchase
Gallery Copy: Early inns and taverns served food and drink to both travelers and locals, and functioned as social centers for many communities. An 1819 “Public Ball” ticket from David Loomis’s establishment also survives in the Connecticut Historical Society's collection. The decanter and wine glasses depicted here would probably have appealed to many passers-by, especially before the rise of the 19th-century Temperance movement, which peaked in the 1840s.
Description: Images: on both sides, a decanter and four wine glasses, silhouetted against white background; no underlying images Text: on side 1, above image: "D, LOOMiS."; below the image: "iNN 1811". Identical on side 2, except that a period replaces the comma after the initial "D."; no underlying text Construction: Two boards, oriented horizontally and encased in moldings. Moldings are mitered at corners and secured around edges of the boards. Iron support straps are recessed flush with the image plane and painted over.
Historical Note: The original location of the sign was along the East Haddam-Colchester turnpike in Westchester, a village approximately 4 miles west of Colchester center. The house remains extant, but was moved to Old Lyme in recent years and extensively remodeled.
Inscription: On side 1, above image: "D, LOOMiS."; below the image: "iNN 1811". Identical on side 2, except that a period replaces the comma after the initial "D."; no underlying text
Object Number: 1958.10.1
Currently On View
Send to a Friend