Skip navigation
Sign for Cady's Hotel
about 1820
Original Owner:Originally owned by Hezekiah Cady , American, 1785 - 1857
Paint on pine board, ash or hickory strapping
Other (height x width of sign only): 32 3/8 x 44 3/4in. (82.2 x 113.7cm)
Credit Line: Collection of Morgan B. Brainard, Gift of Mrs. Morgan B. Brainard
Description: Images: on side 1: four horses pulling a stage coach, over a square and compass Text: on both sides: "H. CADY'S HOTEL." over [J. Converse / HOTEL] Construction: Two boards, grain oriented horizontally; joined by three inset, or floating, tenons; assemblage cut into oval shape. Wood banding is nailed around the outside of the entire sign; no structural frame.
Technique Note: Weathering has worn away the upper image so severely that it is difficult to untangle from the remains of a completely different paint scheme underneath. The Cady text, set within a black name band at the bottom of the oval, covers border decoration that is integral to the design and layout of the Converse Hotel image, thus establishing Converse as the earlier name. Similarly, the deteriorated picture of four horses pulling a stage coach lies over the faint outlines of a large compass and square-Masonic symbols that were part of the earlier Converse scheme. Historical Note: Original location. Cady's hotel was located along the Rhode Island and Connecticut Central Turnpike, chartered in 1825, with tollgates on the western and eastern sides of Gloucester. The western tollgate was opposite Cady's hotel.
Object Number: 1961.63.18
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend