Skip navigation
Sign for A. Lewis's Inn
1800-1812
Original Owner:Originally owned by Abel Lewis , American, working 1800-1819
Wood, paint
Primary Dimensions (height x width including hardware): 68 x 27 1/2in. (172.7 x 69.9cm)
Credit Line: The Newman S. Hungerford Museum Fund
Gallery Copy: Like the Holcomb’s Inn sign (2010.188.0), this sign displays Masonic imagery. Here, the center oval is fixed to the frame, rather than free-hanging. Faint remnants of the original spread-wing eagle or Great Seal image still remain, as do traces of at least two earlier innkeepers. This sign replaced the earlier tin sign (2008.14.0) that marked Abel Lewis’s inn at a different location in Bristol.
Description: Paint decorated tavern sign for "A. Lewis's Inn" showing masonic symbols painted over an earlier spread-wing eagle or Great Seal on one side, and a Tree of Life with masonic symbols on the reverse.
Object Number: 2006.8.0
Currently On View
Send to a Friend