Skip navigation
Armory of Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company.
1840-1848
Printer:Printed by E.B. & E.C. Kellogg , American, 1840 - 1867
Publisher:Published by E.B. & E.C. Kellogg , American, 1840 - 1867
Lithography; black and colored printer's inks and watercolor on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 7 15/16 x 15 15/16in. (20.2 x 40.5cm) Sheet (height x width): 9 5/16 x 18in. (23.7 x 45.7cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Description: A large three-story brownstone factory building stands on a river bank. A cupola consisting of a colonnade supporting an onion dome surmounted by a globe or ball with a rearing colt on it is above the main entrance. Smoke issues from a tall smokestack. Additional buildings are behind and to the right of the main factory. These include an Italianate structure labeled "OFFICE" and a small Gothic revival building. Two horse-drawn vehicles, a man on horseback, and numerous men and women are on the road in front of the factory and on the river bank. Three men hold fishing poles. Other men unload a two-masted schooner into two carts drawn by oxen. A second small schooner is in the mouth of the Park River at the right. Other vessels on the river include a small sloop, a racing shell with the name "Undine" on the side and flags flying at the prow and stern, and two punts or rowboats.
Inscription: On recto, lithographed title beneath image, "ARMORY OF COLT'S PATENT FIRE ARMS MANUFACTURING COMPANY." Lithographed beneath right border, "OFFICE". On verso, lower right, in pencil: "8 3/4 x 16 3/8 / 16422" and old and new accession numbers.
Object Number: 1995.182.174
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend