Skip navigation
Allyn House, Hartford, Ct.
1857-1867
Printer:Printed by E.B. & E.C. Kellogg , American, 1840 - 1867
Publisher:Published by E.B. & E.C. Kellogg , American, 1840 - 1867
After a work by:After a work by Octavius J. Jordan , American, born 1825
Lithography; black and tan printer's ink and watercolor on wove paper
Primary Dimensions (image height x width): 20 3/4 x 29in. (52.7 x 73.7cm) Sheet (height x width): 22 7/8 x 30 9/16in. (58.1 x 77.6cm)
Credit Line: Connecticut Historical Society collection
Description: A four-story brownstone Italianate hotel building, with storefronts on the ground floor, is located on a street corner. The building has quoins at the corners of the projecting center bays, a heavy cornice, and cast iron balconies on the second floor. An American flag flies from the roof. Signs above the shops read: "G.G. CARMAN." "ALLEN & RATHBUN APOTHECARIES DRUGS, MEDICINES, AND CHEMICALS." Men and women walk on the sidewalks and look in the shop windows. A man with a suitcase is entering the arched doorway at the left. Horse-drawn vehicles are in the street. These include an open carriage drawn by two horse, a horse-drawn omnibus with signs that read "RAILROAD DEPOT & STATE HOUSE" and "CLAPP & SHARP" and a freight wagon with a sign that reads "ADAMS & CO'S EXPRESS." A dog is following the wagon. A man and woman on horseback are at the far left. Trees are in the background.
Subject Note: The Allyn house was the finest hotel in Hartford when constructed in 1857. It was designed by Octavius J. Jordan and was located near the railroad station. It was demolished in 1960.
Inscription: On recto, lithographed title beneath image, "ALLYN HOUSE, HARTFORD, CT." Lower left, in pencil, "#33". On verso, lower right, in pencil, accession number.
Object Number: 1985.184.0
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend