Skip navigation
Woman's Uniform
1942-1945
Original Owner:Originally owned by Virginia Grover , American, 1909 - 1970
Clothing Maker:Blouse made by Ship' n' Shore
Retailer:Tie sold by G. Fox and Co. , American, founded 1847
Rayon, cotton, metals, plastic, silk
Other (blouse circumference): 38in. (96.5cm) Skirt (circumference): 56in. (142.2cm) Other (jacket circumference): 40 1/2in. (102.9cm) Primary Dimensions (length x width of necktie): 48 x 4in. (121.9 x 10.2cm)
Credit Line: Gift of Mrs. Houghton Bulkeley
Description: Woman's WWII uniform for the Woman's Division, Connecticut War Savings staff, U.S. Treasury, consisting of a jacket (a), skirt (b), blouse (c), and tie (d). The jacket and skirt are made of mauve synthetic / cotton blend (probably) fabric. The jacket has 3 1/2 inch wide lapels and a center front opening that fastens with three brass colored buttons stamped with a design of an American eagle. Four patch pockets are located on the front of the jacket, the two lower pockets are like applied bags that would allow the wearer to carry bulky items. Inside one of these pockets in an embroidered patch - the same as one found on the proper left sleeve - in a round shape, with "WOMEN'S DIVISION CONN. WAR SAVINGS STAFF U.S. TREASURY" around the perimeter and a figure of a woman walking forward with a large disk behind her, possibly represents a coin. The patch is blue, white and red. There is also an extra burgundy colored felt stripe found in this pocket, like those found at the wrist of the left sleeve. All four of the pockets have buttoned flaps. The jacket has buttoned tabs on the shoulders; each tab has two stripes of gold-colored grosgrain ribbon. The proper left sleeve has an embroidered patch as previously described, and five burgundy felt stripes below a V at the wrist. The jacket is lined with purple-blue twill woven rayon. Pinned to the proper right lapel is an enameled red, white & blue pin with a shield design in the center and around the perimeter: "CONN WOMEN'S DIVISON / U.S. TREASURY DEPT." The skirt is knee-length and is fashioned with a kick pleat in front. The opening over the left hip fastens with four black plastic buttons. The blouse is pinky lavender - colored rayon. It has a camp collar and center front opening that fastens with four plastic buttons imitating mother of pearl. One patch pocket with a pointed, turned-over flap across the top appears over the proper left breast. The bodice front is gathered at the shoulder seams and the back is gathered into the yoke across the back. The sleeves are short and are pleated into the shoulder. A patch of steel-blue rayon has been applied on the lower back of the shirt, apparently by the original owner to repair an area of damage. Label at back of neck: "SHIP 'N' SHORE / REG. U.S. PAT. OFF." with boat and palm trees. The tie is navy blue twill-woven silk fabric. It is 4" wide at is broadest point. The tie has a woven label: "G. FOX & CO. / EST. 1847 HARTFORD" and also a label "SEVEN / FOLD.SCARF / ALL SILK." A necktie (1969.48.4.1) accompanied the uniform at the time of acquisition by the CHS; it was examined by costume historian Lynne Z. Bassett in 2008 and she determined that the necktie would not have been worn with the uniform blouse. The navy blue necktie is all silk and is stitched to allow it to be tied easily. The front tip is wider than the back tip. Two labels are stitched to the narrow tip: a retailer's label in black silk with lettering woven in silver threads reads "G. Fox & CO. / . 1847 HARTFORD" and a smaller navy blue label reads "SEVEN / FOLD / SCARF / ALL SILK".
Historical Note: Virginia Grover Bulkeley (1909-1970) was the Greater Hartford chairwoman of the Women's Organization for War Savings during World War II.
Object Number: 1969.48.4a-f
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend