Skip navigation
Travel Photograph Frame
1886-1941
Laquered brass and black and white photographs
Primary Dimensions (length x width x depth): 2 1/2 x 2 5/8 x 3/8in. (6.4 x 6.7 x 1cm)
Credit Line: Gift of the children of Richard and Georgette Koopman
Description: Small portable hinged photograph frame designed for travel or to carry in one's handbag. The brushed brass finish is protected with a coat of lacquer and the initials "B.F.A." (for Beatrice Fox Auerbach) are engraved on the front of the frame; an engraved inscription on the back reads: "The Fifteen Club / 1886 - 1941." The frame holds two small copy prints of what would originally have been much larger photographs. The one on the left taken in 1886 shows 12 young women and a young girl in a white pinafore standing outdoors with a pagoda framework (for climbing roses?) as the backdrop. The image on the right shows a group of 27 women seated at a large table set for a meal. This image was taken about 1941.
Object Note: Founded in 1886 in Hartford, Connecticut by a group of fifteen Jewish women, "The Fifteen Club" included Theresa Stern Fox, Freda Hammerslough and Clara G. Blumenthal as early members. More information on the club may be found in the collections of the Jewish Historical Society of Greater Hartford. (Blakelock 3/2009)
Inscription: Engraved on front: "B.F.A."; on back: "The Fifteen Club / 1886-1941"; photographs marked "Velox" on paper
Object Number: 2007.24.694
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend