Skip navigation
Plate
1935
Retailer:Sold by G. Fox and Co. , American, founded 1847
Maker:Made by Unknown
After a work by:After a drawing by F. W. D.
Mechanically-molded ironstone with underglaze black decoration
Primary Dimensions (diameter): 9 1/8in. (23.2cm)
Credit Line: The Newman S. Hungerford Museum Fund
Description: Round, cream-colored ironstone plate with a black transfer-printed underglaze pattern and border. The circular pattern in the center of the plate is titled, "The Old State House at Hartford" on the bottom. The pattern shows a three-story brick and stone building with a projecting pediment, a ballustrade on the roof, and a domed cupula. The building is set back behind a lawn and iron fence. Two oxen pull a cart of hay in the left foreground. The pattern is surrounded at the rim by a border. The border consists of a dense vine of grapes and grape leaves with a ribbon, or banner, wrapped around the vine. The names of Connecticut towns are written on the banner that circles the vine on the border. These are, "ASHFORD/ STONINGTON/ GROTON/ PRESTON/ VOLUNTOWN/ PLAINFIELD/ KILLINGLY/ NEW LONDON/ NORWICH/ CANTERBURY/ POMFRET/ WINDHAM". There is crazing over all the surfaces of the plate.
Note: G. Fox and Company, of Hartford, Connecticut, sold this series of plates (2000.73.1-.4) to commemmorate the Connecticut Tercentenary, 1635-1935.
Object Number: 2000.73.2
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend