Skip navigation
Pitcher
1960-1975
Original Owner:Originally owned by Maurice H. Berins , 1908 - 1990
Distributor:Presented by G. Fox and Co. , American, founded 1847
Maker:Made by Josiah Wedgwood & Sons, Ltd. , English, 1895 - present
Mechanically-molded creamware with black overglaze transfer-printed decoration
Primary Dimensions (height x width including handle x depth): 6 1/2 x 6 3/4 x 5 1/2in. (16.5 x 17.1 x 14cm)
Credit Line: Gift of Ruth Berins Collier
Description: Barrel-shaped pitcher of cream-colored earthenware, a type of ceramic known as creamware. The pitcher has a plain rim, swelled sides, narrow base, and a flat bottom. At one side of the rim is a short triangular spout. Opposite the rim is an applied ear-shaped handle. Each side of the pitcher has overglaze black enamel transfer-printed decoration inside a border of scrolled leaves. To the right of the handle is a scene showing a three story retail building with a gambrel roof; a sign over one door to the building states "GERSON FOX". In front of the building are a row of soldiers, a woman and two children. To the left of the handle is a crest with the words "G. FOX & CO/ 25 YEARS/ MOSES FOX CLUB" over "This jug, as a token of friendship,/ marks the esteem in which the members/ of the/ MOSES FOX CLUB/ are held/ by its founder,/ Beatrice Fox Auerbach/ and is given in recognition of their/ loyalty, faithfulness and devotion for/ twenty-five years and more." The pitcher has three chips on the foot.
Owner Note: Maurice H. Berins (1908-1990) worked for G. Fox and Company in Hartford, Connecticut, for over 25 years, and he became a Senior Vice President. He was also the Director/President of Mount Sinai Hospital. Maurice H. Berins was an organizer of the 1971 and 1972 Hartford Arts Festivals. (Hudson 5/2/2007)
Object Number: 2004.132.1
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend