Skip navigation
Pitcher and Original Box
1960
Distributor:Presented by G. Fox and Co. , American, founded 1847
Mechanically-molded creamware with black overglaze transfer-printed decoration
Primary Dimensions (height x width x diameter): 6 1/2 x 6 3/4 x 5 1/2in. (16.5 x 17.1 x 14cm)
Credit Line: Gift of the Children of Richard and Georgette Koopman
Description: Barrel-shaped pitcher of cream-colored earthenware, a type of ceramic known as creamware. The pitcher has a plain rim, swelled sides, narrow base, and a flat bottom. At one side of the rim is a short triangular spout. Opposite the rim is an applied ear-shaped handle. Each side of the pitcher has overglaze black enamel transfer-printed decoration inside a border of scrolled leaves. To the right of the handle is a scene showing a three story retail building with a gambrel roof; a sign over one door to the building states "GERSON FOX". In front of the building are a row of soldiers, a woman and two children. To the left of the handle is a crest with the words "G. FOX & CO/ 25 YEARS/ MOSES FOX CLUB" over "This jug, as a token of friendship,/ marks the esteem in which the members/ of the/ MOSES FOX CLUB/ are held/ by its founder,/ Beatrice Fox Auerbach/ and is given in recognition of their/ loyalty, faithfulness and devotion for/ twenty-five years and more."
Historical Note: The Moses Fox Club was for employees of the department store G. Fox & Co., in Hartford, Connecticut, who had been with the company for 25 years or more. It was named after Moses Fox (1850-1938), the son of the founder of the store, Gerson Fox. (Lee 7/6/2009)
Object Number: 2007.24.2a-c
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend