Skip navigation
Lapel Pin
1890-1950
Original Owner:Originally owned by Beatrice Fox , American, 1887 - 1968
Sterling silver, cloisonné, vermeil
Primary Dimensions (diameter): 11/16in. (1.7cm)
Credit Line: Gift of Mrs. Bernard Schiro
Description: A round lapel pin with a reverse scallop edge has the seal of the city of Hartford, Connecticut. There is a blue enameled field around the edge with the words, "SEAL OF THE CITY OF HARTFORD / CONNECTICUT". In the center is the city seal that was adopted in 1852. In a shield outline, there is a hart crossing a stream and a grapevine with an eagle with wings outstretched at the top of the shield. Beneath the shield is a scroll with the motto, "POST / NUBILA / PHOEBUS" which means 'after the clouds, the sun'. On the back of the pin is a c catch for the hinged pin post. Imprinted in the center is, "G.FOX & CO / STERLING".
Object Number: 1986.213.15
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend