Skip navigation
Stores for Mr. Walter U. Soby , South Whitney Street, Hartford
1924
Architect:Designed by William T. Marchant , American, 1880 - 1948
Drawing; pencil on tracing paper, some with orange dimensional lines.
Sheet (height x width): 28 1/2 x 25in. (72.4 x 63.5cm) or smaller
Credit Line: Gift of Colonel and Mrs. Richard L. Shaw
Description: Plans are for a two-story store with Tudor elements. The building has a parapet, slate roof, and flat gauged arches over most windows. The materials that make up the facade of are stucco, brick, and half-timbering. The drawings include all elevations, a transverse section, and floor plans for the cellar / foundation, first and second floors, and the roof. The cellar is one large room with a coal chute. Included on the first floor are three separate stores, a toilet, closet, one store room, and two vestibules. The second floor consists of a large work room, and a toilet.
Subject note: On March 11, 1926, Walter U. Soby requested that thirty-nine feet on the Whitney Street side of his property on Farmington Avenue be re-zoned to coincide with the zoning of the rest of the property, so that he could erect a building for the accomodation of three stores. (Hartford Courant, 3/11/1926). Soby had a dance studio at 553 Farmington Avenue. (Finlay 7/27/2011)
Inscription: 1999.100.200.1, 2, and 7: On recto, in black ink, upper center " STORES FOR MR. WALTER U. SOBY," and in upper right "VERIFY ALL SIZES AT BUILDING." Accession numbers are noted on verso of all drawings, lower right, in pencil.
Object Number: 1999.100.200.1-.11
Not Currently on View
Send to a Friend